Edutainment Forum

Author Topic: Killed Steel!!  (Read 189 times)

Offline chintan.ck03

Killed Steel!!
« on: January 24, 2018, 11:52:24 AM »
Hello,

I just came across material requirement mentioned , "killed steel", though I found many information on internet but need some help for sum it up and conclude.

so can anyone brief it for direct difference in normal steel and killed steel, on basis of technical and commercial both!!

This material is generally asked for the power plant application products/components, but i want to understand requirement of material and application both!!

Thank you.!!

Offline susovan

Re: Killed Steel!!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 12:07:09 PM »
All our Carbon Steel is supplied to us in killed condition. This means free of oxides. At the time of melting or preparation of heat Aluminium granules are thrown in the heat Tub(Bucket); So that the Aluminium will bind with oxygen to form Aluminium oxide , this leads to exothermic reaction and the Aluminium oxide evolves out from the heat.

Offline jigarmech

Re: Killed Steel!!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 12:21:44 PM »
A very good question. As @susovan said that killed steel has a very little or no oxides present, it has higher strength as compared to normal steel due to lack of blowholes formed by carbon monoxide.
The process is well explained by @susovan on how killed steel is made.
@susovan you should check Rimmed steel as well, as all carbon steel are not killed steel.

This material is generally asked for the power plant application products/components, but i want to understand requirement of material and application both!!

What i believe, that application of this kind of steel can be found in Oil industry/Power plant/etc. where chances of high temperature and probability of getting rust is high.

Code: [Select]
literally Killing Oxygen :021:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 12:44:41 PM by jigarmech »
"A neutron walks into a bar and asks how much for a drink, the barman replies for you NO CHARGE"

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email: