Edutainment Forum

Author Topic: vaporizing water below 100° C  (Read 180 times)

Offline nethan

vaporizing water below 100° C
« on: December 19, 2017, 11:46:51 PM »
I'm little confused with the water being vaporized at atmospheric temperature to form clouds. Any explanation?
“The greatest challenge in life is discovering who you are, The second greatest is being happy with what you find.”
― Auliq Ice

Offline jigarmech

Re: vaporizing water below 100° C
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 10:02:01 AM »
I'm little confused with the water being vaporized at atmospheric temperature to form clouds. Any explanation?

It's not just the temperate. Pressure above the surface plays role too. If the pressure above the surface is low the temperature required to boil water will be less. And vice-versa.
"A neutron walks into a bar and asks how much for a drink, the barman replies for you NO CHARGE"

Offline nethan

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 02:38:39 PM »
What of it's a closed vessel. Will water evaporate? I mean if you don't provide heat to system, then will there be any evaporation of water?
“The greatest challenge in life is discovering who you are, The second greatest is being happy with what you find.”
― Auliq Ice

Offline jigarmech

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 03:38:18 PM »
do you mean to say isolated system(not adiabatic)? When that happens, equilibrium is formed. The vapor will be formed which will create pressure on the surface of liquid which is called vapor pressure. This will resist the water molecules to evaporate further. If there is pressure of atmosphere from the beginning on the water, then water molecules will not evaporate. Hence pressure also plays an important role.
Hope this helps.  ::)
"A neutron walks into a bar and asks how much for a drink, the barman replies for you NO CHARGE"

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email: